The history of Hästens spans more than five generations, dating all the way back to the 1800s. Founder Pehr Adolf Janson lived in poverty in the city of Örebro, Sweden. Inspired by his father to make a better life for himself and his family, Janson set out to become a master saddler, beginning an apprenticeship at the age of eighteen. He would eventually earn his Mater Saddler certificate in 1852, bestowed upon him by the King of Sweden.
As a saddler, Janson’s duties included making leather goods and fine horsetail hair mattresses. After marrying, starting a family, and moving to the community of Hed, Janson’s son Per Thure followed in his father’s footsteps, also becoming a saddler. Together with his son David Janson, Per Thure launched a successful business where making beds quickly outgrew the demand for saddles.
In 1939, architect Ralph Erskine traveled to Sweden and met David Janson, who would go on to design the Hästens Factory in 1948 as well as its 1998 expansion. To this day, Hästens remains a family-owned company renowned for manufacturing its mattresses and beds by hand at the historic factory in Köping, Sweden.
Since its humble beginnings in the 1800s, Hästens has cultivated a sterling reputation for its meticulous craftsmanship techniques and the use of ethically-sourced natural materials in its premium mattresses. With a history spanning six generations, the Swedish manufacturer sells some of the world’s finest and most comfortable beds, mattresses, and bedding accessories.
Natural materials continue to play a pivotal role in the appeal of Hästens beds. Flax, horse hair, wool, and cotton are among the materials used to create the company’s acclaimed beds and mattresses, all of which continue to be manufactured at Hästens Factory in Sweden by individuals with years of experience.
The company’s ultimate goal remains a steadfast focus on reinventing and refining the conventions of bed making. Today, it is recognized for being the first company to use a top mattress on a continental bed. Quality, comfort, service, and detailed construction are key principles as Hästens continues its relentless efforts to fine-tune sleep craft.
The sterling reputation Hästens has built is partially due to its continued focus on utilizing the finest sustainably produced, and ethically-sourced natural materials in its products. These materials can then be given a new life or returned to nature, where they came from.
Horsehair is the foundation for Hästens and it remains the company’s most beloved material. A key material in bed construction, each individual strand of hair is allergen-free and functions as a minuscule spring, providing essential pliability and support. Horsehair also serves as a ventilation system, allowing moisture to travel away while simultaneously letting fresh air in. With this system, the body remains cool during deep sleep.
Cotton already has a well-established history of being one of the softest and most comfortable materials used by mankind. As a complement to horsehair, it works wonderfully. Hästens soft cotton keeps the body cool and dry by allowing air to circulate, contributing to more deep sleep cycles while helping you fall asleep faster.
Wool is the climate control system of Hästens beds, creating elasticity, flexibility, and resilience. Each individual fiber contributes towards a natural insulation, allowing the bed to absorb moisture without causing a pool of sweat during warmer weather. Thanks to the fusion of the cotton, horsehair, and the wool, you sleep tightly no matter the season.
Along with flax as the noise and vibration suppressor and pine for strength and stability, Hästens beds are unlike anything you’ve ever slept on before.
A good night’s sleep will not only affect your mood during the day, it can improve your overall health. Hästens remains driven by an eternal passion for sleep and how it keeps the body and soul working harmoniously. Sleep is essential to life, a natural process unable to be duplicated, purchased over a counter or consumed in a pill. There is no way to cheat towards achieving perfect sleep but there are ways to create a sleep experience that will leave you feeling rested, rejuvenated, and ready to take on whatever responsibilities life throws at you.
More than 150 years since it began, Hästens continues to pioneer the science of sleep through meticulously handcrafted beds using natural materials. In fact, a quick Google search will reveal numerous customers that have experienced the Hästens difference and have never looked back. We invite you to explore why its beds, mattresses, and accessories are among the world’s finest and most acclaimed beds.
An adjustable bed with a tinge of modernism.
- Handcrafted adjustable bed with greater firmness than the Hästens Lenoria.
- Wireless remote lets you easily adjust the position.
- Hästens spring systems ensure proper body alignment during sleep.
- All-natural breathable layers of material create maximum pliability.
Classically versatile elegance at a fantastic value.
- Double spring systems for optimum support.
- Thirteen centimeters of slightly firmer support.
- A cleanly eye-catching low profile.
- Layers of all-natural materials like wool help to regulate body temperature.
An inviting experience meticulously crafted by hand.
- Double spring systems for maximum responsiveness.
- Entirely handmade with all-natural materials for supreme softness.
- Effortlessly adjusts to your movements for uninterrupted sleep.
- Inviting bed with a wonderfully soft comfort level.
Effortless beauty with a luxuriously contemporary design.
- Elegant low-profile design handcrafted with natural materials.
- Slightly firmer support for a better night’s sleep.
- Bonnell spring system easily adjusts to the body’s curves.
- Unbelievable softness thanks to thick layers of natural cotton.
Minimalist sophistication providing exceptional support.
- Slim profile design.
- Layers of flax, wool, and cotton provide full support.
- Bonnell spring system delivers strong mattress alignment.
- Hästens Pocket Spring system easily isolates movements for undisturbed sleep.
An impeccable balance of comfort and support wrapped in unmatched softness.
- Compact size.
- Double Hästens spring systems support the body while operating silently.
- Multiple layers of wool and cotton provide unrivaled pliability and softness.
- Bed lining prevents dust from entering underneath.
A boldly and sublimely powerful bedroom statement.
- Individual spring elasticity for isolated movements when sleeping with a partner.
- Three individual Hästens Spring Systems provide full body support.
- Created with natural materials using a unique layering technique for optimum comfort.
- Boldly elegant design.
Pressure support and relief presented as a work of art.
- Unique side stitching in double rows delivers wonderful stability and form.
- Spring system combination creates balanced softness while providing support.
- Natural materials allow the bed to easily adjust to the body’s contours.
- Incredible softness underpinned by strong stability
A magnificently weightless sleep experience brimming with innovation.
- • Adjusts effortlessly to tiny movements.
- • Beautifully designed with brushed aluminum finishing and double side stitching.
- • Three individual Hästens Spring Systems provide full body support.
- • You and your partner’s body movements are entirely isolated.
An ultra-modern bed that adjusts to your life without compromises.
- Ultra comfortable adjustable bed with a modern aesthetic.
- Adjust the bed with the included controller or through Bluetooth.
- All natural materials create a soft, pliable bed where movements go unnoticed.
- Sliding lateral movement maintains an ongoing distance between the wall and the bed.